Tru-Tec NDT were contracted to perform inspections on 150 metres of drill stems, subs and Kelly’s for a refurbishment program.
The drill elements were decommissioned and pre-cleaned prior to inspections being carried out in accordance with API-RP-7G-2 with the inspection requirements conforming to Annex B Table B.1- Pipe-body Field Inspection Available For Used Drill Pipe (UDP). The acceptance criteria was in accordance with the “Moderate Inspection”.
API Moderate Drill Inspection Tru-Tec NDT were contracted to perform inspections on 150 metres of drill stems, subs and Kelly’s for a refurbishment program.
In order to comply with the inspection requirements, Tru-Tec NDT undertook the following examination processes:
- OD Gauging Conducted using calipers and Faro laser scanners as per sections 10.2.5
- Full Length Wall Monitoring and Ultrasonic Testing Including lamination, corrosion/erosion, and angled inspection carried out on 100% of material as per sections 10.3.6, 10.5, 10.6, 10.10
- Magnetic Particle Inspection of Critical Areas, pin threads and Outer Diameter conducted using Axial Current Flow and Threading Conductor to ascertain discontinuities running in anydirection. As per API-RP-7G-2, the Magnetic Particle Inspection was conducted using Fluorescent ink and AC waveform to allow demagnetisation to be conducted readily and easily.
- Visual Inspection of bevels, seals, threads, weight code/grade markings and outer and inner diameter conducted externally and internally with the use of borescopes.
- Inspection of hard banding Conducted using Magnetic particle inspection and Visual Inspection.
- Check for box swell and pin stretch Conducted using rules, calipers and Faro Laser scanners.
- Check pin and box OD’s and eccentric wear Conducted using rules, calipers and Faro Laser scanners.
- Check pin and box-tong space Conducted using rules and Faro Laser scanners.
The inspection techniques conducted by personnel, resulted in a time efficient and cost-effective turnaround of the components and returned to service promptly.
The clients were also provided with Tru-Tec NDT’s effective reporting systems covering all areas of inspection undertaken to incorporate 3D imaging, with colour coding schemes throughout areas with loss of material, discontinuities and wear.